Whenever I get a special request for food, I just sit back and go ahhhhh. It means someone has liked what I’ve made and they want more. I am not a fancy cook, or one who goes out of their way for exotic ingredients. For me, gettin’ in the kitchen, making a great dish, dinner or dessert that makes people happy is just heaven on earth. So, here’s the story of this Special Request….
Once upon a time there were two boys, Creed and Hunter. Like all little boys, they loved dirt, bugs, picking on each other, dirt, bugs and rocks, picking on each other…well, you get the idea. Their crazy, good parents loved them, inspired them, encouraged them, scolded them and sometimes let them go out for ice cream. The boys grew and grew, learning to read, write, make great friends, play soccer, lacrosse, the piano and become a Prince for a Princess. While doing all of this….they also learned to love food. Thus….the almost end of the story…..
Another school year is here and my boys have a special request – “That Grilled Tuna Salad Thing.” OK, I know you’re saying, “wow, how special can that be?” Southern? Probably not, and really, is that all she’s got for those boys? Well…just hold on! Fire up your grill, and let’s get cookin;…..
- Mix of fresh salad greens – washed, drained and put into crisper or clean towel in fridge.
- I use a mix of Bibb lettuce, Romaine and Red Leaf
- 4 boiled eggs – quartered
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans
- trim beans
- bring about 3-4 cups of water to boil – add 1 teaspoon salt
- add green beans and blanch (bring to the height of color/until tender)
- remove beans and add to ice bath (bowl of water with ice cubes) Let stand for 5-8 minutes and drain.
- Wash and drain baby Yukon gold potatoes
- bring 3-4 cups of water to boil with potatoes and cook until fork tender then drain.
- add 1/4 cup of vinaigrette to warm potatoes, cover and set aside
- Allow tuna to come to almost room temperature, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Set grill to med/high heat Sear tuna on both sides and grill until desired doneness – I cook mine to medium (pink in middle)Remove tuna, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Let rest.
- THE BEST VINAIGRETTE!