This week, the weather is supposed to turn a little cooler so I thought I’d get out my slow cooker and fix something yummy. So, it’s gonna be a little pig, pork butt that is, cooked low and slow. I’ll give all the details on that lovin later but for now, I’m getting some of the “goodies” ready that go along side.
Pickled onions are perfect for pulled pork. This recipe is from Bobby Flays cookbook, Burgers, Fries and Shakes. They are great to add onto your pork sandwich or just have on the side. Of course, you can use them as an addition to many other dishes. When I make them, I add a little more sugar and let them marinate a little longer.
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large red onions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped oregano leaves
- 2 whole Serrano chilies or jalapeño chilies, slit down the center (optional)
- Add lime juice, vinegar, sugar and salt to mason jar or container. Let stand for about 5 minutes so sugar can dissolve.
- Add onions, oregano and chilies if using. Cover and refridgerate for 2 hours or up to 2 days. Drain before use. ***I used 1/2 of a jalapeño and the taste was perfect.