This is one of my all time favorite salads! I make it 12 months of the year but as we start to hit warmer weather, the smell of fresh tomatoes and basil is not far away! I know we’re not quite there yet for local homegrown tomatoes but I wanted to share this dish because it’s so good and when the fresh produce arrives we’ll be ready!
1 1/2 cups of couscous – cook according to directions on container. I use olive oil and salt in the water, and the key is to use a fork and take your time – gently flaking the grains apart.
2 cups of grape tomatoes – halved
4-5 basil leaves cut into strips
1 1/2 cups feta cheese
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic – grated
1/2 teaspoon salt – don’t skimp on this
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- In a large bowl, add couscous, tomatoes and basil.
- In a mason jar or mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and grate the garlic over top. Mix well.
- Pour dressing over couscous and gently mix.
- Add feta cheese and fold into the couscous.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper. I use a heavy hand with the pepper in this dish – I think it brings out the flavors of the tomatoes and dressing!