- Preheat oven to 375 degrees . Prepare a muffin pan with paper/foil liners or use non-stick spray, set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, yolk, and vanilla.
Whisk butter into milk mixture.
- Add milk mixture to the flour mixture,stirring gently to combine.
- Fold in lemon zest and poppy seeds making sure to mix thoroughly.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- For topping – Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together with fingers until crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over the muffin batter.
- Bake muffins 18 to 20 minutes until golden and edges are crispy.
- Cool muffins in the pan for 15 minutes before removing.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
We had such a nice weekend. Great music at a neighborhood concert, getting together with friends and finally all my guys are home! There have been lots of coming and going this summer and I’ve missed them but have been so happy for the things they’ve experienced. When the boys leave for more than just an overnight or two, it’s always bittersweet. I want them to have new experiences, meet people outside of their normal circles and get a taste of what it’s like to be on their own. Again, I miss them.
Sunday was especially nice because we kept things slow and easy. I had the BEST time all morning listening to, and watching my sons. They laughed, joked and actually had a 3 minute conversation! The big thing is – TA DA – they missed each other! Yes, yes, yes, I am happy. Of course, they had to make sure things were cool with a reprimand to me, “look Mom, don’t get all emotional about this, you know how you are. Don’t you have something to do?” So yes, I did have something to do which was make breakfast. I made homemade muffins with a couple of ingredients my b
oys love – lemon and poppy seeds. I want those two to remember a few of my yummy goodies when they leave home and yes, that was very self centered of me to say but they are growing up so fast! Does anybody else know what I mean? So, if a great homemade muffin can get me an extra hug, kiss and “I love you, Mom” well, I’m going for it! Oh heck, I guess I have to grow up too…..
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
For the Topping
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar