Sometimes we all just need a little lovin…
This past weekend my family needed a little TLC along with a couple of other friends. It had been a long week with the start of school and since we had an extra day attached to the weekend, well, it was the perfect time to cook a couple of summer standbys. Tomato pie was at the top of the list – fresh tomatoes, creamy cheese with just the right flavors of basil and onion. I posted this recipe about a year ago but changed just a couple of things by using homemade mayo and a little more onion. I made one pie for us and a second one with extra love for a friend. Happiness, with lots of oohs and ahhs were shared.
Happy Labor Day, all…just a little late.
One to keep and one to share!
- 4-5 large tomatoes
- 1 pie shell
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4-5 large basil leaves
- 1/3 cup of thinly sliced vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup homemade mayo (recipe below) or other good quality mayo – not salad dressing
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice 4-5 tomatoes with skin on and place on paper towels to drain – about an hour or longer if you have time.
- Set oven at 425 degrees. Roll out pie dough and place in pie or tart pan. Prick pie shell to prevent rising.
- Bake for 8 minutes (lightly golden) and remove. Turn down oven to 400. Cool pie shell for about 20 min.
- Sprinkle grated/sliced mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese on bottom of pie shell.
- Layer the tomatoes, in a circular pattern overlapping each other.
- Sprinkle on fresh basil, ( I roll mine up and slice into thin strings) chopped vidalia, lots of fresh cracked pepper and salt.
- Mix 1/2 cup of homemade mayo with grated cheddar cheese. Spread on top of the pie.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes. If the edges get brown early, put a pie ring on top or use a homemade one – that’s what I have….made out of tinfoil.
- Take out of oven and rest at least 20 minutes.
Want to print this recipe? Just click….Print Me!