1 pound penne pasta
2 1/2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
1/3 cup good olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
4-5 slices of lemon
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of salt to pot. Add pasta and cook according to directions on package.
- 2 minutes before pasta is done, add broccoli to pot and continue cooking.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining pasta.
- While pasta is draining, heat olive oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold the pasta – I use the same pot as I cooked the pasta and broccoli in.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until it just begins to turn a light gold color being careful not to burn.
- Add red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Gently pour pasta-cooking water to the garlic and oil and bring to a boil. Lower heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until liquid is reduced by about 1/3.
- Add pasta and broccoli to the garlic sauce and toss.
- Add in lemon slices and lightly toss.
- Take pot off heat and add Parmesan, mixing cheese into the pasta. Allow pasta to rest off the heat for about 5 minutes for sauce to be absorbed.
- Taste for seasoning and serve warm with extra Parmesan.