1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
1/2 cup half-and-half or milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Peel potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Place in saucepan and cover with cold water. Cook on high heat until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and return to saucepan.
- Mash potatoes then add half and half, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Continue to mash until smooth.
- Set side until meat mixture is done.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb ground lamb
1/2 lb ground beef
1 large onion – chopped
2 large carrots – chopped
2 stalks celery – chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef or vegetable stock
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute carrots, onion and celery in the olive oil till tender.
- Add meat and cook until browned. Drain off any fat.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce, mixing well.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir through.
- Add stock and bring to a low boil.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes, allowing liquid to reduce.
- Layer meat in bottom of an oven proof dish.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over top of meat mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are brown on top.
- Can use broiler for extra browning on potatoes.