Shepherd’s Pie is comfort food at it’s best!
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 2 large carrots - chopped
- 2 stalks celery - chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt , 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef or vegetable stock
Peel potatoes and cut into chunks.
Place in saucepan and cover with cold water. Cook on high heat until fork tender.
Drain potatoes in a colander and return to saucepan.
Mash potatoes then add half and half, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Continue to mash until smooth.
Set side until meat mixture is done.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Saute carrots, onion and celery in the olive oil till tender.
Add meat and cook until browned. Drain off any fat.
Add thyme, salt and pepper.
Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce, mixing well.
Sprinkle with flour and stir through.
Add stock and bring to a low boil.
Cook for approximately 15 minutes, allowing liquid to reduce.
Layer meat in bottom of an oven proof dish.
Spoon mashed potatoes over top of meat mixture.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are brown on top.
Can use broiler for extra browning on potatoes.