2 cups fresh strawberries – washed, hulled and sliced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of heavy cream
2 tablespoon confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 sheet of puffed pastry – thawed
- Place strawberries, balsamic vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl and gently stir. Set aside for up to an hour to allow flavors to marry.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat heavy cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured work service, unfold pastry sheet.
- Cut into 3 long strips and then cut strips into 4 squares.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- To build Napoleons, spit one pastry square and place on plate. Top with a dollop of cream. Add a layer of strawberries. Top with other side of pastry and repeat with cream and strawberries.
- End with one pastry square, top with cream and whole strawberry.
- Can be topped with a sprinkle of confectioners sugar or drizzle of chocolate.