4 slices deli ham – chopped
1 small onion – chopped
2 tablespoon butter
1 packet taco seasoning
1/3 cup water
1 can 15.5 oz can black beans – rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded monterrey jack cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
8 medium size tortillas
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium sauce pan. Add onion and ham. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add taco seasoning and water, mix well.
- Add black beans, stirring to incorporate ingredients, increase heat to a simmer
and cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in large cast iron or fry pan and let melt. Gently place 1 tortilla in pan.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on tortilla – enough to cover to edges. Layer on ham & black bean mixture. Sprinkle layer of monterrey jack cheese and cover with another tortilla.
- Cook on low heat until bottom is golden brown. Gently flip quesadilla and continue to cook until cheese is melted – about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat to cutting board. Let rest 1 to 2 minutes then slice (I use a pizza cutter.)
- Continue to build and cook other 3 quesadillas.
- Serve with any of these extras ~ sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, lime wedges, shredded lettuce or green onions.
- this recipe makes 4 quesadillas that can serve 4 people as a main dish or up to 8 as a snack or appetizer.