1 whole chicken – cut up
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 lemons cut into thick slices
3 garlic bulbs – tops cut off to expose cloves
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and brown in hot pan working in batches.
- Place all but 3 to 4 lemon slices on bottom of crockpot along with garlic bulbs.
- Layer chicken on top of lemon and garlic. Gently pour over stock. Place remaining lemon slices on top of chicken and sprinkle on thyme.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours.
- When done, remove chicken from pot and strain broth.
- For gravy, melt 2 tablespoon of butter in a pan. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook until golden brown. Slowly pour in flavored broth and continue to whisk until smooth. Cook on medium heat until gravy is thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve chicken and gravy over rice, noodles or creamy grits.