- Raise the American Flag.
- Attend a parade.
- Visit a local veterans cemetery.
- Attend a memorial service.
- Visit a battlefield.
- Honor the National Day of Remembrance – In 2000, Congress addressed the fact that many Americans simply use Memorial Day as a day to eat burgers. They created the National Moment to make sure our troops are honored. At 3 p.m. on Memorial Day, every American is asked to pause for just one minute to honor the fallen.
- full list of Memorial Day traditions found here.
So, whether we are celebrating the birth of baby or one of our nations important holidays, I hope we can stop and truly remember what that special time is about. For me, it’s about spending time with family and friends making memories that will last a lifetime. Happy Memorial Day, friends…this Southern Soul is counting her blessings.Tomato Pie with Cheese & Pesto
4-5 large tomatoes
1 pie shell
1/3 cup of thinly sliced sweet onions
1/4 cup basil pesto
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese – shredded
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese – grated
4-5 large basil leaves – sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup good quality mayo – not salad dressing
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice 4-5 tomatoes with skin on and place on paper towels to drain – about an hour or longer if you have time.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pie dough and place in pie or tart pan and trim edges. Prick pie shell to prevent rising. Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for about 20 min.
- Layer onion on bottom of pie shell then sprinkle on grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to form an even layer.
- Spread pesto over cheeses.
- Layer half the tomatoes over pesto in a circular pattern overlapping.
- Mix mayo with grated cheddar cheese and spread on top of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on fresh basil.
- Layer remaining tomatoes over basil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes minutes. If the edges get brown early, put a pie ring on top or use a homemade one made out of tinfoil.
- Remove pie from oven and sprinkle on additional Parmesan cheese.
- Allow pie to rest at least 30 minutes, sprinkle on basil, slice and serve.