1 loaf french bread
1 pound ground beef
3 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon Worchestire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or provolone cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice bread in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the center of bread and set aside. Place bread on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brown ground beef in a cast iron skillet set to medium high heat. When cooked, remove beef from pan and drain all but 2 tablespoon of fat. Add onion and cook until transcluent. Add flour to pan and whisk to incorporate. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Whisk in milk, scraping up bits from bottom of pan. Add in Worchestire sauce, salt, pepper and bread from inside of loaf. Mix well.
- Add ground beef to gravy mixture, stir. Cook meat mixture on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Spread butter on each side of bread and place in oven to toast for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove bread from oven and spoon beef mixture into half of bread and top with cheese. Top with second half of bread.
- Cook in oven for 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into 3 inch sandwiches.