Those of you who read A Southern Soul know what when I post a recipe, most of the time, I share a little story. You always seem to like that about me and that makes me really happy. Today, there’s not really a story. I don’t have one because this recipe is just straight up, no kidding, really good. Apples, brown sugar, a few spices all wrapped in flakey puffed pastry. Yep, that’s pretty much it. The reason I made this recipe is because my son had been hounding me for days to make an apple pie. I really didn’t feel like making a pie, so I decided to get a little creative and this strudel recipe was calling my name.
I used granny smith and honey crisp apples to give a good balance to the filling. I did have fun peeling the apples using my handy, dandy apple contraption. It made easy, neat work of this sometimes frustrating job.
Next, came making the sugar blend. Once you mix all of the ingredients together, it’s best to let it sit for about 15 minutes so that the sugar sort of melts onto the apples. Then, you just roll out the puffed pastry, fill it up, roll it up in a bundle and bake.
When it comes out of the oven, it’s like one big toaster strudel. You know the ones you ate as a kid. Mr. A Southern Soul had his big piece with vanilla ice cream and my son ate his with powered sugar. I have to say it again, this apple strudel is straight up, no kidding, really good and it was a blessing that I made two. They disappeared before dinner.
1 granny smith apple – peeled and chopped
1 apple crisp apple – peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
2 sheets thawed puffed pastry
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, add apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and salt. Toss together coating apples with dry ingredients. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out each puffed pastry into a large rectangle.
- Combine brown and white sugar with bread crumbs. Divide mixture in half and sprinkle down the center of each pastry. Place half of apple mixture in the center of each pastry on top of sugar blend. Gently fold long edge of pastry over apples then roll to close the bundle. Pinch edge and ends to seal. Place apple bundles on lined sheet tray. Mix egg and water together then brush over pastry. With a sharp knife, cut slits in strudel to allow ventilation.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until crust and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a baking rack. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.