Yesterday, I posted a photo on Instagram of the pizza that I’d made for lunch. I always find it interesting as to what people like on Insta and yesterday was no exception. My post got just a few likes, especially in comparison to “famous” people’s photos but I did get quite a few messages, and a few emails wanting the recipe. So, here ya go. It’s quick, simple and has the best mix of savory flavors. The key to making this pizza great is getting crust right. That entails a really hot oven and letting your baking stone or pan get really hot. I use a large rectangle baking stone and have had it for years. Over time, it’s built up a really nice, dark brown color and is seasoned perfectly with ingredients from previously cooked dishes. By letting the stone heat up in the oven, you are in a sense, making your own brick oven. Just make sure when placing your dough on the stone, BE CAREFUL! I don’t need to tell you how hot it is…you’ll know when you pull it out of the oven. I don’t worry too much about how irregular the edges look – my goal is to have the dough pressed far enough to the edge without making any holes. Then I load up the pillowy dough with toppings and lots of cheese. After about 15 minutes, it’s ready for a close up!
BBQ Ham and Cheese Pizza
1 tube thin crust pizza dough
1 ham steak (pre-cooked) cubed
1/2 cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce – or your own favorite
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place pizza stone or metal pan in oven and heat for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove pizza stone from oven, once temperature reached 450 degrees. Unroll pizza dough onto stone and press out edges until flat.
- Spoon bbq sauce over dough and using back of a spoon, smooth out for an even layer. Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.
- Crumble on ham cubes then sprinkle on cheddar cheese. Top all layers with parmesan cheese.
- Place pizza in oven and cook for 14-16 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Remove pizza from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese, cut into squares and serve.