There’s almost nothing better than the smell of pie baking in the oven. This recipe is so easy and comes together in no time flat.
- 1 disk of pie dough - I used store
- flour for dusting surface of parchment
- 1 large egg - beaten
- 2 tart apples - Granny Smith or Gala peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 sweeter apples - McIntosh peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1/4 cup apple butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Roll out dough to about a 13-inch round, on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Toss apples, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
Spread apple butter over bottom of dough, leaving about a 1 ½ inch border.
Arrange apples over apple butter. Sprinkle top of apples with additional cinnamon and nutmeg.
Fold in edges of dough to form a crust.
Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake crostata until apples are tender and crust is golden, about 1 hour.
Let cool slightly. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.