It’s really hard for me to think of a potato dish that I don’t love. Plus, I like every kind of potato – Yukon gold, sweet, red, bliss, Idaho and list goes on and on. With this love comes two problems. One, I am really trying to cut out those nasty carbs that add on the pounds and two, my guys need to be fed. I’ve had to figure out how to balance this small problem and I think I’ve finally come up with a plan. I put my idea to work using this crazy good casserole as my test project. I made a this creamy, cheesy hash brown casserole this past weekend. It was a great side dish for our grilled chicken along with a fresh green salad, loaded with summer veggies. While everyone filled their plates with good food and my warm potato dish, I doubled up on the salad! It wasn’t really that hard and I was proud I did it. Now, I do splurge from time to time but finding a balance is really what I want in my life. I know, it may seem silly that it includes a potato casserole but you’ve got to start somewhere.
At the end of the meal, I had leftovers, which is the other part of my plan. My high schooler quickly laid claim to them as part of his breakfast each morning. No problem. I packaged the remaining casserole up in 3 neat microwave safe dishes, making our mornings easy. So, it looks like everyone is happy ~ I served a comforting dish for Sunday supper, my son gets 3 days of “special breakfast” and I added another gold star to my “you got this” list.
Comforting potatoes and cheesy goodness combine to make a yummy casserole that everyone will love.
- 2 pounds shredded potatoes or bagged hashbrowns
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter - melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Heart oven to 350 degrees.
Butter bottom of 9 by 13 baking dish. Place hash browns evenly in bottom of dish and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Gently stir to combine.
In a small sauce pan, heat milk, butter, salt and garlic powder just until butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Pour milk mixture over potatoes and cheese.
Sprinkle on pepper, chives and Parmesan cheese.
Place in oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until cheese is browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
This recipe makes 8 to 10 serving so if there are leftovers they can be stored in refrigerator and reheat beautifully in the microwave.
- This dish is PERFECT for a potluck or for entertaining as it holds 8 to 10 servings.
- Make ahead and freeze! Put the casserole together ahead of time, tightly cover with plastic wrap then in tin foil then freeze. Thaw completely and proceed to cook per instructions.
- Be your own chef by changing up the cheddar cheese with any you like. It’s delicious with smoke gouda or pepper jack.