Sometimes we can get so caught up in the rush of things that we forget the true meaning of a special day, so here’s a few ideas on how we can remember Memorial Day ~
- Raise the American Flag.
- Attend a parade.
- Visit a local veterans cemetery.
- Attend a memorial service.
- Visit a battlefield.
- Honor the National Day of Remembrance – In 2000, Congress addressed the fact that many Americans simply use Memorial Day as a day to eat burgers. They created the National Moment to make sure our troops are honored. At 3 p.m. on Memorial Day, every American is asked to pause for just one minute to honor the fallen.
- full list of Memorial Day traditions found here.
There are some dishes that just scream All American like apple pie, hot dogs & hamburgers, BBQ, and in my family, tomato pie!
- 4-5 large tomatoes
- 1 pie shell
- 1/3 cup of thinly sliced sweet onions
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 4-5 large basil leaves - sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup good quality mayo - not salad dressing
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Slice 4-5 tomatoes with skin on and place on paper towels to drain - about an hour or longer if you have time.
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pie dough and place in pie or tart pan and trim edges. Prick pie shell to prevent rising. Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for about 20 min.
Layer onion on bottom of pie shell then sprinkle on grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to form an even layer.
Spread pesto over cheeses.
Layer half the tomatoes over pesto in a circular pattern overlapping.
Mix mayo with grated cheddar cheese and spread on top of tomatoes.
Sprinkle on fresh basil.
Layer remaining tomatoes over basil.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes minutes. If the edges get brown early, put a pie ring on top or use a homemade one made out of tinfoil.
Remove pie from oven and sprinkle on additional Parmesan cheese.
Allow pie to rest at least 30 minutes, sprinkle on basil, slice and serve.
Make sure to PIN this recipe HERE to SAVE!