One of my favorite food blogs is Smitten Kitchen. I love the recipes, beautiful photographs and how incredibly creative Deb Perelman is. Not only is Smitten Kitchen a great food blog but there’s also a cookbook that’s been on so many best seller lists that I just can’t name them all! I’ve made several of Deb’s recipes and often use the blog for inspiration which is what happened yesterday. While shopping for groceries, I happen to see that blackberries were on sale. After closer inspection, I decided I had to have some.
I was not quite sure what’s I’d make with them but when I saw this recipe, I couldn’t resist. Everyone here loves fresh fruit and we love coconut. This is a really simple recipe and doesn’t take much time at all to make. I did change just a couple of things and it turned out fabulous! Be sure to check out this link for the original recipe from Smitten Kitchen.
Blackberry Coconut Tart
Combining blackberries and coconut, this is a sweet and chewy tart that makes a great summer dessert.Print Pin Rate
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 pint fresh blackberries - cut large ones in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line bottom of 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom with parchment. Generously butter bottom and sides.
- Mix flour, coconut, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir in butter and mix with a fork. Press mixture around sides and bottom of pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Stir together coconut sugar and egg whites in a small bowl.
- Gently place blackberries in tart pan, spreading evenly.
- Drop small teaspoons of coconut mixture around blackberries and up to the edge of crust.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Serve with whipped cream.