After observing Ash Wednesday, we are now in the season of Lent. For most of us, Lent is a time of reflection, self assessment and faithfulness. During these 40 days, as Christians, our devotion life is more focused and our prayers more intense. Many people “give up” or do without something during Lent so to better understand what a measure of discomfort is like. As we journey through this time building up to Easter, our family will focus on what we are thankful for and “take something on” in the form of a project for others. So, each Thursday until Easter, I’ll share a few things I’m thankful for. I invite you to join me! Just leave a comment and let me know what you are thankful for….it will be a great journey together. As I start this Thankful Thursday, my list may seem obvious, but it’s where I had to begin…
I am THANKFUL for:
- my Husband
- my Sons
- my pets – Dixie and Pepper, they make me happy.
- my sense of humor and the sound of laughter.
- the kindness of strangers – just a smile, or a wave or someone saying something nice.
- a wonderful community of faith. It’s loving, caring and inspiring.
- a comfortable, warm home that’s filled with love.
|Original for Creed and with chocolate chips for Big Sweetie and Hunter|
- 1 stick melted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Butter an 8x8 pan.
- Mix the melted butter and brown sugar until really smooth.
- Add in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in flour and salt.
- Pour into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely before cutting.
- This is a "1 bowl wonder" and does not require a mixer, just a wooden spoon and strong arm!
- You can mix in lots of extras depending on your tastes - chocolate chips, nuts, chopped dried cherries, expresso.
- They can also be frosted with cream cheese icing.
- I tend to double the recipe since these treats never last very long.