Whew…what a week! I’ve been up, down, in and out…then before I knew what was happening, it was Thursday. Oh well, as one of my best girlfriends says, “it’s all good!”
I am really excited to share this blueberry cake recipe with you. I made it last weekend and was not quite sure how it would turn out. The cake turned out beautifully but I thought it needed a little something extra, so I made this sour cream icing to top it off. Have Mercy! What a great combination of fresh sweet berries along with creamy icing. Now, here’s the shocker – after just one piece of this cake, Mr. A Southern Soul declared quite emphatically that this was the best dessert I’d ever made. What? Of all the pies, cookies, cakes and cobblers I’ve made over the years, this is THE ONE? Well, alrighty then! So, here ya go, friends…I hope you like it as much as my family did.
This cake is a great combination of fresh sweet berries along with creamy icing.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks) – room temperature
- 3 large eggs – room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (scant 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries – mixed with 1 tablespoon of flour. (This will keep the berries from sinking to bottom of pan while baking. Frozen berries can also be used.)
Sour Cream Icing
- 4 tablespoons butter – softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 2/4 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together.
- With a electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Continue beating, adding eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla and zest, mix well.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk, ending with flour mixture.
- Turn off mixer and gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into bundt pan.
- Bake until a cake tester or wooden skewer comes out clean about 50 minutes to an hour.
- Cook cake on rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn cake onto cake plate and cool completely before frosting.
Sour Cream Icing
- Using a hand mixer, cream butter, sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice until smooth.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar.
- Add salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour icing around top of cake allowing it to run down the sides.