Whew! The first week of school is in the bag and I must say, it was a good one. Like all high schoolers, my son is very busy with his studies and extra activities which takes a LOT of energy. You know where I’m going with this, right? He needs food and these breakfast cupcakes are a super way to get the morning started.
Of course, I worry about what he eats, even though he’s not a picky eater, I still get a little uptight about what kind of food he puts in his body.To keep him fueled up, I start out with a good breakfast. I came up with these protein packed breakfast cupcakes that can be customized with any kind yummy extra you might like. I added sausage, cheddar cheese and chives to my batch. This recipe makes enough for 12 cupcakes. Once baked and cooled, I packed them up in an airtight container and stored it in the fridge until I was ready to serve.When breakfast rolled around, I popped 3 in the microwave, heated them up, added a side of fruit to the plate and served it all up with a smile. My boy gobbled everything up! Then in the blink of an eye, he was out the door with one last remark…”make more of those Mom, love you.” Yep, it was a good week, indeed.
Start your day off right with eggs, sausage and cheese in one yummy bite! Breakfast cupcakes are sure to become a family favorite.
- 10 pieces of bread - crusts cut off and sliced on the diagonal into 4 pieces each
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sausage - cooked and crumbled
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 3 to 4 pieces of cut bread in the bottom of each cupcake well, making sure to cover bottom and most of the sides.
- Divide sausage among the 12 cupcakes. Layer on cheese.
- Ladle eggs mixture over the sausage and cheese. Sprinkle on chives. Place in oven and cook approximately 18 minutes or until eggs are set and top in golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool.
- Enjoy immediately or or store in an airtight container in refrigerator.