Last weekend was lots of fun although a little hectic. Hunter came home on Saturday from a week long stay at Boy Scout camp. He had a great time and learned so much. I knew from past experience that when a boy has been gone for a whole week at camp, make sure that he unpacks his gear OUTSIDE – stowaways have been known to appear! Anyway, lots of laundry was in my future but what else is new?
My boys didn’t actually see each other last weekend because while Hunter was on his way home, Creed was headed out on a Mission trip with 102 other youth from CUMC. They packed the trucks on Friday evening and bright and early on Saturday, headed south for a week of work and fellowship. With all of the comings and goings, it was nice to settle down on Sunday and have a celebration. Hunter and I spent Father’s Day just hanging out with Mr. A Southern Soul. The guys played a little basketball, watched “several” different sporting events on TV and we ended the evening with a great meal. Of course, dessert had to be something really good, so I made Cherry Ice Cream and served it with chocolate chip cookies. It was a wonderful way to say “Happy Father’s Day” to a great husband and dad.
A Southern Soul and her boys love you, babe, and we are thankful you are in our lives.
Homemade Cherry Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups pitted and chopped cherries
- In a medium sauce pan, add cream, milk and sugar and cook on low heat until sugar is melted.
- Place in fridge and chill thoroughly.
- Pit and chop 2 cups of cherries.
- Once the cream mixture is chilled add the cherries and vanilla.
- Pour into ice cream maker and follow directions for your machine.
- When frozen, place in a container and continue to freeze until time to serve.
*I bought a great cherry pitter at The Extra Ingredient. It allows you to pit 4 cherries at a time and contains the stones so there’s very little mess.