Roasted chicken and soft pillows of cheese tortellini all simmered in a rich, herbaceous broth make a comforting soup that will quickly become one of your family’s favorite meals. This recipe comes together in no time thanks to a few store bought ingredients. You know, friends, sometimes you’ve got to get creative when “cutting corners” but with some careful planning and by picking great ingredients, you can pull off an amazing dish that will surprise even the most discerning palate.
Over the past week, the weather has turned cooler and the first golden leaves have started to fall. Like most folks, when this happens I start thinking about comfort food which always includes warm soups and stews. This new soup idea had been brewing in my head for several weeks and the time was right to put it to the test.
First off, I wanted a rich, flavorful broth and knew that would come together with some simple vegetables like carrots, onions and celery. Then the second layer of flavor would come from garlic and dried herbs. The next few steps is where the “power play” comes in. I used store bought rotesserie chicken, packaged tortellini and canned beans to give my soup some heartiness. I had 2 jars of homemade stock on hand but needed more for my soup, so, 1 box of store bought broth was also added.
After a bit of chopping, a few minutes of simmering and a splash of bright lemon juice, my soup was done. It’s a simple, comforting dish that’s also easy on my budget. It’s going on my “favorites” list and will be especially good when the sniffles hit during the chilly winter months.
Chicken & Cheese Tortellini Tuscan Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery - chopped
- 2 carrots - choppped
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic - minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 roasted chicken breast - shredded (1-1 1/2 cups)
- 1 8oz can white beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz package cheese tortellini
- 1 lemon - juiced
- In a a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium setting. Add celery, carrots and onion. Cook until vegetables are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add salt, pepper and dried herbs, stirring in to cooked vegetables.
- Add stock, shredded chicken and white beans. Stir to incorporate all ingredients. Turn burner down to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook for an additional 5 minutes until cheese pasta is heated throughout. Stir in lemon juice. Taste and adjust season.
- Serve hot, with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.