January 29th rolled around just like it does every year and I braced myself…my oldest turned 17! I know, I know, don’t get weepy or sad, don’t reminisce about him being a baby and don’t tell him stories about things he’s done in the past. Well, I must say, I am very proud of myself because I didn’t do any of those things. It was truly a miracle because, I can cry at the first frame of a Hallmark commercial and when it comes to my boys, goodness, tissues can fly! Like I said, I got myself ready and planned the day – decorations, cards, gifts and of course food.
We had a wonderful day and I think the birthday boy loved it too … even the goofy card from his brother, the special gift from dad and the very sweet but sappy card from me. We had a great day full of special birthday wishes and celebrated with cheesecake from one of his favorite local bakeries with a few extra touches just to make it “his.” After 17 years, you’d think I’d have this birthday thing down pat but really, not so much, although I am getting better at it. At the end of the day, I know my boys are growing up and I love how they are finding their own way in life and becoming men that Rob and I are proud of. So, Happy Birthday RCM … Mom loves you!
Sugar Balsamic Strawberries
Add a special touch to strawberries with this sugar balsamic treatment.
- 2 pints strawberries , washed and hulled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Wash and hull strawberries.
- Cut each berry into quarters and place into a glass bowl.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over fruit and sprinkle with sugar.
- Mix gently.
- Cover and leave on counter until ready to serve - up to 3 hours.
Add some chocolate goodness to any dessert with this homemade sauce.
- 4 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon extract
- pinch of good sea salt
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until chocolate is melted.
- When mixture is smooth, add vanilla and salt.
- Serve at once or can be kept in refrigerator, covered for up to one week.