January 29th rolled around just like it does every year and I braced myself…my oldest turned 17! I know, I know, don’t get weepy or sad, don’t reminisce about him being a baby and don’t tell him stories about things he’s done in the past. Well, I must say, I am very proud of myself because I didn’t do any of those things. It was truly a miracle because, I can cry at the first frame of a Hallmark commercial and when it comes to my boys, goodness, tissues can fly! Like I said, I got myself ready and planned the day – decorations, cards, gifts and of course food.
We had a wonderful day and I think the birthday boy loved it too … even the goofy card from his brother, the special gift from dad and the very sweet but sappy card from me. We had a great day full of special birthday wishes and celebrated with cheesecake from one of his favorite local bakeries with a few extra touches just to make it “his.” After 17 years, you’d think I’d have this birthday thing down pat but really, not so much, although I am getting better at it. At the end of the day, I know my boys are growing up and I love how they are finding their own way in life and becoming men that Rob and I are proud of. So, Happy Birthday RCM … Mom loves you!
Add a special touch to strawberries with this sugar balsamic treatment.
- 2 pints strawberries , washed and hulled
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Wash and hull strawberries.
- Cut each berry into quarters and place into a glass bowl.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over fruit and sprinkle with sugar.
- Mix gently.
- Cover and leave on counter until ready to serve - up to 3 hours.
Add some chocolate goodness to any dessert with this homemade sauce.
- 4 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon extract
- pinch of good sea salt
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until chocolate is melted.
- When mixture is smooth, add vanilla and salt.
- Serve at once or can be kept in refrigerator, covered for up to one week.
The Happy Whisk
What a great opening paragraph. You had me laughing when you said you didn't do any of those things.
Happy Day to you both.
Thanks for the "Happy Whisk" wishes. You got it! Like I don't do any of those things….