If you are short on time but need a dish that’s full of flavor, well, here’s the answer! This couscous recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make and is loaded with a crunchy, lemony taste. May is always a crazy month for us with end of the school year right around the corner, band concerts, sports tournaments and trying to get everything done around the house…goodness, are you tired just reading about it? Well, I can’t let a full “to do” list keep me from making something delicious for dinner. This is what’s on the menu tonight along with grilled fish…ah, now I can take a breath.
Couscous with Spring Onions, Pistachios & Dried Cherries
If you are short on time but need a dish that’s full of flavor, well, here’s the answer!Print Pin Rate
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup dried cherries , soaked in hot water for 15 minutes then drained.
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced spring onions.
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts , toasted lightly and chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan combine the butter, broth & water - bring to a boil.
- Stir in couscous.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add scallion, pistachios, parsley along salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, and oil.
- Toss the couscous mixture with the dressing and season with salt and pepper.
Extra thoughts ~ you can substitute raisins or currants for the cherries. This dish makes a great picnic or outdoor dish since it doesn’t have mayo or eggs and is best served at room temperature.