I’ve got two words for you – Fantasy Football. Yes, that crazy competition where people make their own “imaginary” teams from real players in the NFL and score points based on actual performance. I know it sounds goofy, but it’s really a lot of fun. Just to clarify, I don’t play myself, but Mr. A Southern Soul does and he is known as the Commish. For those of you who don’t know what that is, he’s kinda like the head of his league. Which brings me to explain where I fit in…the draft party. Yes, there is an actual draft of the players for each persons team. For years, maybe about 7 or 8 if I remember correctly, all the guys in the league come over on one special night to pick the best players they can for their team. They have a great time giving each other grief about who they are choosing, cracking jokes about who will win, all the while, secretly hoping they will come out on top. During all this craziness, I pull together a big spread for them to enjoy during halftime. This year we are having my buffalo chicken sliders, dip & veggies, tomato salad and chocolate cookies.Of course though, I’ve got to talk about the snacks. This year, I made a little something special – Zesty Snack Crackers. I busted out my trusty crock pot, threw in some high powered seasonings, oyster crackers and gold fish. After about 2 hours, I had something GOOD, y’all. This snack is going to be just what’s needed at the table while the boys take care of some football business!
If store-bought crackers are a little too plain for you, you can add flavor with this zesty recipe.
- 2 bags oyster crackers
- 2 bags Pepperidge Farms Goldfish crackers
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place oyster and goldfish crackers in crockpot.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour half of butter mixture over crackers and gently stir. Add remaining butter and mix all ingredients. Place lid on crock pot.
- Cook on LOW for 1 hour. Remove lid. Cook snack crackers for an additional hour on LOW, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let crackers cool then store in an airtight container until ready to serve.