This is very plain and very simple….
Every time I make this salad for a dinner party or event, folks always ask for the recipe. I really don’t have anything too official – I’m still working on that part of of being A Southern Soul!
There used to be a great little Italian restaurant here in town that served this salad and it’s no longer here, heck! Since I loved that little salad so much, I had to try and make it myself. After a couple of attempts, I put together something that’s turned out to be a winner. So, for Laura and for Hope….this one is for you!
A Southern Soul's Girlfriend Salad
- 3 cans of cannellini beans - drained and rinsed
- 3 stalks of celery - chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1/2 red onion "rough" chopped
- juice of 1 1/5 lemons - maybe more
- 1/3 cup olive oil - maybe more
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
- Gently mix beans, celery, tomatoes and onion in bowl.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- Toss all ingredients together.
Just so you know, you’ll need to taste after the first mix. This salad is supposed to have a great savory yet fresh taste. You might have to add more of the lemon, olive oil, salt and/or pepper. REMEMBER – you can always start on the conservative side of seasoning and add more depending on your taste BUT the beans are quite plain and will soak up the flavors so don’t be scared – go for it!
This salad is great when served with grilled tuna, salmon or chicken. It’s REALLY, REALLY great to take on a picnic or outdoor event since it doesn’t have any mayo in it….and is best devoured at room temperature!
To all the girls, I love having you as friends and count you as a blessing…