We’ve had beautiful weather here over the past few days, so of course, we are grilling and dining alfresco. This was also the first week of school and I wanted to prepare an easy, tasty dinner so that our family could spend as much time as possible lingering at the table sharing about their day. It took just a few minutes to come up with my menu due to a stocked pantry and fridge ~ grilled chicken tostadas, sauteed black beans, grilled onion & tomato salsa and fresh fruit.
I set the table with fun colorful place mats (I found them at the Dollar Store and all 4 were just $1.00!), a combination of white and striped napkins, a few candles and a little bit of greenery from the yard. It was welcoming and happy.
Lastly, I lit the torches to keep away the “spoilers”, made the salsa, grated cheese, shredded some lettuce and got a few other extras ready. A menu that packed a little heat and spice, with fresh summer flavors thrown in along with great conversation and lot’s of laughter…it was a glorious end to the day.
Grilled Chicken Tostadas
A little heat and spice, with fresh summer flavors thrown in, these grilled chicken tostadas are a dish made for hot summer nights.Print Pin Rate
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes
- 1 large onion - cut into thick slices
- Place chicken in a zip lock bag.
- Mix next 4 ingredients together in a small measuring cup.
- Pour over chicken making sure pieces are totally covered in marinade.
- Add onion to bag.
- Let marinate in fridge for 2 to 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before cooking, remove chicken to kitchen counter.
- Heat grill to medium high. Oil grates with vegetable oil.
- Cook chicken until done and slightly charred. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice chicken, across the grain and place on warm tortillas. Add shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream and salsa if desired.
- 1 onion marinated and grilled
- 1 medium tomato , seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños - chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Roughly chop grilled onions.
- In a small bowl, add all ingredients and gently mix.
- Serve on tostadas, tacos or with chips.