I had a wonderful weekend because I got to spend it with my youngest son – just the two us! With my husband out of town on a camping trip, my oldest on a youth retreat and yucky weather on the way, Hunter and I did lot’s of things we both love to do. We shopped a little, decorated the house for Christmas, watched a couple of funny movies and cooked together. When it was time for dinner, we made a short list of some of our favorite things, went “shopping” in the pantry and fridge and came up with a delicious pasta dish! It’s based on Pasta De Oilio but with a few extras like broccoli and lemons. It’s creamy, packed with flavor, requires only one pot and can be served in less than 20 minutes.
This one’s a keeper…thanks, son!
Penne with Broccoli and Parmesan
Based on Pasta De Oilio but with a few extras like broccoli and lemons, this pasta dish is creamy, packed with flavor, requires only one pot and can be served in less than 20 minutes.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 1/2 cups fresh broccoli , chopped
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves , cut into thin slivers
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese , plus extra for serving
- 4-5 slices lemon
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of salt to pot. Add pasta and cook according to directions on package.
- 2 minutes before pasta is done, add broccoli to pot and continue cooking.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining pasta.
- While pasta is draining, heat olive oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold the pasta - I use the same pot as I cooked the pasta and broccoli in.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until it just begins to turn a light gold color being careful not to burn.
- Add red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Gently pour pasta-cooking water to the garlic and oil and bring to a boil. Lower heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until liquid is reduced by about 1/3.
- Add pasta and broccoli to the garlic sauce and toss.
- Add in lemon slices and lightly toss.
- Take pot off heat and add Parmesan, mixing cheese into the pasta. Allow pasta to rest off the heat for about 5 minutes for sauce to be absorbed.
- Taste for seasoning and serve warm with extra Parmesan.