With just a few simple ingredients, you can turn store bought puffed pastry into the tastiest cheese straws ever! Parmesan cheese and my house seasoning add incredible flavor to these little twists that are perfect as an appetizer or along side soups and salads.
This is one of those recipes that I’ve been making for years but never bothered to write down. I have no idea why that is. Maybe it’s because these cheese straws are so easy to make that I just assumed everybody knew how to make them. Well, that is for sure not true.
I recently had a girlfriend over for lunch and served these golden twists with a bowl of soup, and she went nuts over them. When I started telling her how to make them, she said, “I’ll just look it up on your blog.” Uh, hold on now, there’s no such recipe on the blog. Until now.
These cheese straws are so addictive that it is hard to stop nibbling on them. I think it’s due to the combination of Parmesan and my house seasoning which is a blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
With the addition of a little olive oil, the puffed pastry bakes up with a golden color and the paprika turns the cheese into rich, little brown sprinkles.
Ingredients For Puffed Pastry Cheese Straws
- Puffed Pastry – I use Pepperridge Farms, which you can find in the frozen section at the grocery.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- A Southern Soul House Seasoning
How Do You Make This Recipe
How Long Do You Bake The Cheese Straws?
Substitutions And Additions
What To Serve With Puffed Pastry Cheese Straws
Puffed Pastry Cheese Straws
- 1 sheet puffed pastry (store bought)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese – grated
- 2 tablespoons house seasoning (https://www.asouthernsoul.com/2017/03/house-seasoning.html)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 11×17″ baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out pastry on floured surface to approximately a 10×12 inch square. Brush on olive oil all the way to the edges of the pastry. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and house seasoning evenly over puffed pastry. Cut crosswise into 12 inch strips. Twist strips and place on baking sheet. Scrape up any additional cheese and seasoning and sprinkle over twists.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes being careful not to burn but making sure pastry is cooked. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve