With just a few simple ingredients, you can turn store bought puffed pastry into the tastiest cheese straws ever! Parmesan cheese and my house seasoning add incredible flavor to these little twists that are perfect as an appetizer or along side soups and salads.
This is one of those recipes that I’ve been making for years but never bothered to write down. I have no idea why that is. Maybe it’s because these cheese straws are so easy to make that I just assumed everybody knew how to make them. Well, that is for sure not true. I recently had a girlfriend over for lunch and served these golden twists with a bowl of soup and she went nuts over them. When I started telling her how to make them, she said, “I’ll just look it up on your blog.” Uh, hold on now, I had to tell her, there’s no such recipe on the blog. We both started to laugh and she said, “what the heck…these are awesome, is this a secret family recipe or something?” Of course, they are not but once again, they are just so simple to make, I didn’t think it was a big deal to share how I make them. We had another laugh that included me being informed that I better get this recipe on A Southern Soul in short order.
These cheese straw are so addictive that’s it’s hard to stop nibbling on them after you’ve had one. I think it’s due to the combination of Parmesan and my house seasoning which is a blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. With the addition of a little olive oil, the puffed pastry bakes up with a golden color and the paprika turns the cheese into rich, little brown sprinkles. There’s nothing quite like time spent with a good friend enjoying yummy food and laughing…really, really laughing.
Puffed Pastry Cheese Straws
- 1 sheet puffed pastry (store bought)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 2 tablespoons house seasoning (https://www.asouthernsoul.com/2017/03/house-seasoning.html)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 11x17" baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out pastry on floured surface to approximately a 10x12 inch square. Brush on olive oil all the way to the edges of the pastry. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and house seasoning evenly over puffed pastry. Cut crosswise into 12 inch strips. Twist strips and place on baking sheet. Scrape up any additional cheese and seasoning and sprinkle over twists.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes being careful not to burn but making sure pastry is cooked. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve
Love this recipe and want more? Then make sure you subscribe to our newsletter and never miss another FREE recipe!
Subscribe to our mailing list