I’ve been working on ideas, plans, tips and tricks to make my life easier. I’ve also been trying to be much more intentional regarding my meal planning and prep. These may seem like lofty goals but, I’m committed! Luckily, I’ve run across a new way to cook one of my favorite additions to some of our family meals. I now prepare my caramelized onions in my crock pot. Yes, its true and you are gonna love this!If you love caramelized onions on a burger, well, once you make a big batch, you’ll find many more ways to add them to your recipes. I add them to grilled cheese sandwiches, soups, stews and they bring a rich, buttery flavor to any omelette. If you want to turn your dip recipes into something extraordinary, add a few caramelized onions…people will go crazy to know what that delicious flavor is!
The flavor of these caramelized onions is outstanding but the real amazing thing about this recipe is how easy it is to make. Seriously, all you do is slice, cook and enjoy. The slow cooker does all of the work. It’s funny how something so good takes so little effort. All I know, is this is one cooking shortcut that is now in my meal planning playbook. Another goal – achieved.
Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions
- 4 large onions - yellow , white, red or Vidalia
- 4 tablespoons butter - cubed
- 2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Peel and slice onions. Place in slow cooker. Put cubed butter on top of sliced onions.
- Cover slow cooker and set to HIGH for 8 - 10 HOURS.
- After 2 HOURS, remove lid and stir. Add salt and pepper. Cover and continue to cook.
- Check onions during the last hour of cooking. If there is liquid in the slow cooker, remove lid, stir and continue cooking until moisture is cooked out.
- Let caramelized onion cool. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.