Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup is the ultimate combination of flavor and convenience! It’s loaded with all your favorite taco flavors in a rich, comforting soup. It’s a versatile recipe that can be enjoyed year-round, whether you’re hosting a casual dinner party or craving a cozy meal.
Why You Need To Make Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- This recipe takes less than five minutes to pull together and then rewards you with a delicious, healthy one-pot meal at the end of the day.
- Aside from how easy it is to make, one of the best things about this crockpot taco soup is how all the flavors and ingredients mingle during cooking to make a rich, delicious dish.
- Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup uses simple, easy-to-find ingredients and is perfect for stretching your food budget.
- It’s the perfect solution for busy weeknights when you’re craving something hearty and flavorful.
Pin This Recipe Here
Scroll Down For Measurements
Chicken Taco Soup Ingredients
- Onion – chopped
- Cannellini Beans – drained and rinsed. You can also use kidney beans.
- Black Beans – drained and rinsed.
- Frozen Whole Kernel Corn – canned corn that has been drained can be used.
- Canned Tomato Sauce
- Beer – chicken broth can be used if you are not a beer fan.
- Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chiles – do not drain.
- Taco Seasoning – I use my recipe for homemade taco seasoning. You can also use chili powder.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – boneless, skinless chicken thighs can also be used.
Ingredient Variations And Swaps
This easy taco soup recipe can be customized with lots of different savory ingredients.
- Proteins – cooked ground beef, cooked ground chicken or turkey, cooked crumbled sausage or bacon.
- Veggies – chopped bell peppers, diced jalapeños or poblano peppers, celery, carrots, peas, butternut squash or potatoes.
- Flavor Boosters – minced garlic, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, red pepper flakes.
Is Taco Soup Spicy?
You can make this recipe as mild or spicy as you want. For a milder flavor, swap out the Rotel tomatoes and chilies for canned chopped tomatoes. You can also use mild taco seasoning to add great flavor without spice.
How To Make Chicken Taco Soup In The Crock Pot
- Place the onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce & beer, along with the tomatoes and chilies, in the slow cooker. Add the taco seasoning and stir.
- Add chicken breast to the pot, making sure to cover with other ingredients.
- Set heat for low and cook for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the cooker, shred it with forks, and add it back to the pot.
- Taste for seasoning, then adjust with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for an additional 1 hour – up to 2 hours.
Topping Ideas For Taco Soup With Chicken
This is a dish that it’s fun to get creative with! Here are a few of my favorite topping ideas:
- Tortilla chips, nachos chips, or crackers.
- Pico de Gallo, avocado salsa, or corn with cilranto.
- Diced jalapeños, sliced avocado, pickled red onions, fresh cilantro, or parsley.
- Shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream.
How To Store Leftovers
This soup is great for meal prep. To make ahead or for leftovers, for the instructions, allow the soup to cool before transferring it to an airtight container. It can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Freeze in containers or zip-top freezer bags for 3 months.
Can This Soup Be Made Vegetarian?
Sure! You can leave out the chicken altogether or add a plant-based protein alternative. Also, you can use vegetable broth for a vegetarian-friendly version.
What To Serve With Homemade Chicken Taco Soup
- Creamed Corn Cornbread Muffins
- Fresh Pineapple Salsa served with tortilla chips.
- Southern Fried Corn Fritters
- Strawberry Tomato Avocado Salad
- Black Bean And Corn Salsa
Craving More? Try These Easy Soup Recipes
- Crock Pot Ham And Potato Soup
- One Pot Lasagna Soup
- Healthy Mushroom Soup
- Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cans cannellini beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn (drained canned corn can be used)
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 bottle (12 oz) beer
- 2 can (10 oz) Rotel tomatoes with chilies
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (packaged taco seasoning can be substituted)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Place onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce & beer along with the tomatoes and chilies in the slow cooker. Add the taco seasoning and stir.
- Add chicken breast to pot, making sure to cover with other ingredients.
- Set heat for LOW and cook for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker and shred with forks and add back to pot.
- Taste for seasoning, adjusting for salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for an addition 1 hour – up to 2 hours.
- This recipe can be made in a Dutch oven. Cook on top of the stove at medium heat for approximately 1 ½ hours. Test chicken prior to shredding to make sure it is cooked thoroughly.
- This soup is great to make ahead for meal prep, and store in the fridge or freeze for later. For leftovers, allow the soup to cool before transferring it to an airtight . It can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Freeze in containers or zip-top freezer bags for 3 months.
- To make a vegetarian version, you can leave out the chicken altogether or add a plant-based protein alternative. Also, you can use vegetable broth for a vegetarian-friendly version.
Want To Know More About Slow Cooking?
If you are new to cooking with a Crock Pot or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using a slow cooker like a pro!