Slow Cooker Ham & White Bean Soup
A hearty soup that's made with yummy leftover ham, simple pantry ingredients and a few seasoning. This is how to stretch your food budget without sacrificing taste!
- 1 bag great Northern beans (SMALL white beans) I use Goya brand
- 2 cups chopped ham (leftover or deli sliced)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion - chopped
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 cloves garlic - grated I use a microplane
Place beans, ham, stock and water in crockpot.
Heat olive oil in a small skillet. Add onions, carrots, garlic and cook until tender. Add salt, pepper and thyme. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add all ingredients to crock pot. Place lid on and set to cook ON LOW/6 HOURS (check for tenderness and cook longer if needed), ON HIGH/4 HOURS.
When done, serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and or hot sauce.