Classic Muddy Buddies are a “must make” during the holidays. Also known as Puppy Chow, this sweet crunchy snack is a treat loved by kids of all ages!
What’s not to love when crunchy cereal, peanut butter, chocolate and powered sugar are mixed together, right? For more years than I can remember, I’ve been making Muddy Buddies. There’s just something about the combination of those simple ingredients that’s totally addictive. I know this to be true because there’s some near and dear to me that cannot resist this snack. Honestly, Mr A Southern Soul almost embarrasses himself with this stuff! I just look away.
This treat is simple to make. It takes a bit of elbow grease to get all the cereal coated with the chocolate, peanut butter mix but that’s about it. So, I’m thinking, why not make a batch about every week. That might be a over kill but it’s just so good, and everybody loves it so why not! When it’s time to make a batch for yourself, here’s a few things to keep in mind ~
- use a big bowl for mixing. You need enough space in the bowl to really get to mixing!
- this recipe is for the classic recipe but feel free to add other goodies like pretzels or peanuts.
- if you melt the chocolate and peanut butter in the microwave, make sure not to burn the mixture.
- this sweet treat makes a great gift for teachers, neighbors and friends during the holiday season. Make sure to share!
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 cups Chex rice cereal
- 1 1/2 cups powered (confectioners) sugar
- In a large bowl, microwave peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter in 30-second increments. Stir in between each time in the microwave until smooth. **most microwaves will only take 1 minute total to melt the ingredients.
- Place cereal in a large bowl. Pour over melted chocolate mixture and stir to coat each piece of cereal. Sprinkle on powered sugar and gently toss cereal. Store in airtight container.
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe to save and to FOLLOW on Pinterest for more great recipes!