This post may contain affiliate links.
Crispy fried chicken that’s juicy on the inside is made in less than 30 minutes thanks to the air fryer! These Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are perfectly seasoned without heavy breading and extra oil. If you love fried chicken without all the hassle of making it, then grab your air fryer, THIS recipe is for you.
Delight in this Crispy Chicken Thigh recipe in the air fryer : Experience the best “fried” chicken ever made! With a perfect blend of seasonings, cooked in the air fryer, these thighs will become a family tradition.
Enjoy juicy, flavorful chicken in just 30 minutes. Say goodbye to greasy frying and hello to healthier, tastier meals. Try these irresistible air fryer chicken thighs now!
What you’ll need to make Air Fryer Chicken Thighs:
- bone in/skin on chicken thighs
- A Southern Soul House Seasoning
- lemons – optional
What makes this chicken so delicious is that there’s no heavy breading, and it’s not greasy. Since cooking in an air fryer uses very little oil, the actual flavor of the chicken shines through.
With hot air circulating over the thighs, the skin gets crispy and crunchy, while the inside stays tender and juicy. Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are a great low-carb dish to enjoy, especially if you love traditional fried chicken. With the success of this recipe, my Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes, and Air Fryer Parmesan French Fries, I’d say I’m all in with this new way of cooking!
Difference Between Chicken Thighs and Breasts
When it comes to air fryer chicken, both thighs and breasts have their own unique qualities. Here’s a breakdown of the key differences:
- Flavor: Chicken thighs offer a richer, juicier flavor compared to leaner chicken breasts. Thighs have more natural fat, resulting in a more succulent taste and tenderness.
- Cooking Time: Due to their higher fat content and thickness, chicken thighs typically require a longer cooking time in the air fryer compared to chicken breasts. Thighs usually take around 30 minutes to cook through and achieve a crispy exterior.
- Versatility: Chicken thighs are well-suited for various recipes, including baked chicken thighs, garlic parmesan fries, and other delectable air fryer chicken thigh recipes. Breasts, on the other hand, are often preferred for salads, sandwiches, or dishes where a leaner meat is desired.
In summary, while chicken thighs and breasts have distinct characteristics, air frying both can result in flavorful and satisfying meals. Whether you choose juicy thighs or tender breasts, the air fryer can deliver a delicious and healthier alternative to traditional frying. Experiment with different recipes and find your preferred style of air fryer chicken.
Tips For Making This Recipe
- Make sure to pat the chicken dry before seasoning. This will help the House Seasoning adhere to the skin.
- I like to trim any extra skin off of the thighs before cooking. This makes for a neater chicken thigh.
- Boneless/skinless chicken thighs can be used. You’ll need to lightly spray the chicken with your favorite cooking spray then season.
- Don’t over crowd the air fryer basket. I usually purchase an 8 or 12 pack of chicken thighs and I cook 4 at a time in the air fryer.
- You MUST FLIP THE CHICKEN halfway through the cooking time. Start with the skin side down, cook for 10 minutes, flip the chicken and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Let the chicken rest for 4 to 5 minutes before serving. I like to add a squeeze of lemon for a pop of fresh flavor.
Chicken Temperature Checks!
Check the internal temperature: Use the meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. The recommended safe internal temperature for chicken is 165°F (75°C). Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, avoiding contact with bones or the cooking surface.
Use a meat thermometer: Invest in a reliable meat thermometer to accurately measure the internal temperature of the chicken. This is the best way to determine if the chicken is cooked to the recommended safe temperature.
Commonly Asked Questions
A simple combination of salt, pepper, and garlic powder works well to season the chicken thighs. Feel free to add additional spices or herbs based on your taste preferences.
Yes, you can use boneless/skinless chicken thighs in the air fryer. Lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray before seasoning to help with browning and flavor.
Yes, you can cook side dishes like fries or vegetables in the air fryer alongside the chicken thighs. Just make sure not to overcrowd the fryer basket for optimal results.
What to serve with Air Fryer Chicken Thighs?
- Instant Pot Garlic & Herb Rice
- Super Simple Caprese Salad
- Cheesy Ranch Potatoes in Foil Packs
- Lemony Asparagus & Pea Pasta Salad
- Pineapple Slaw
- Southern Pineapple Casserole
- Hot Honey
- 4 bone in/skin on chicken thighs
- 1 ½ tablespoons House Seasoning – recipe below
- Trim extra skin from chicken thighs. Sprinkle both sides with house seasoning.
- Place chicken thighs, skin side down in air fryer basket. Set temperature to 360 degrees. Cook on one side for 10 minutes, flip chicken and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove chicken from air fryer and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with additional salt, parsley and a squeeze of lemon is desired.
A Southern Soul House Seasoning Mix
- Mix together 8 tablespoons Kosher salt, 3 tablespoons pepper, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons paprika. Keep in a sealed jar or zip top bag.
Want To Know More About Air Frying?
If you are new to cooking with an Air Fryer or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using the Air Fryer like a pro!