This post may contain affiliate links.
Make the BEST Baked Potatoes ever in the Air Fryer! These potatoes are tender and flakey on the inside with an amazing super crispy skin. Keep them simple with butter, salt, and pepper or load them up with your favorite toppings for a side dish that’s outstanding.
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes may seem like a bit of a “no-brainer” recipe but let me share something with you. Once you make a baked potato this way, you’ll never, ever go back to cooking them in the oven or in the microwave. Nope, never, ever.
Using the air fryer produces a soft, evenly cooked spud that is like nothing you’ve had before. The outside is crispy, salty and if you are one of those people who’ve left the skin of a baked potato on your plate, well, those days are gone.
Since I’ve had success cooking Sweet Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts, Baby Potatoes, and Chicken Wings in my air fryer, I had a good feeling that baked potatoes would turn out beautifully. I was right. From now on, this is the only way I’ll be making one of my family’s favorite side dishes.
Why I Love This Cooking Method
- I don’t have to wait for the oven to preheat, which saves me so much time.
- The air fryer doesn’t heat up the whole kitchen which is always important during hot summer months.
- It produces the absolute best cooked, crispy skin baked potato ever.
How To Make The Best Baked Potatoes In The Air Fryer
- Wash and scrub the potatoes, then pat them dry with a dishtowel. Using a fork, poke holes in the potatoes.
- Place potatoes on a cutting board or in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and rub to coat the potatoes.
- Place potatoes in the basket of the air fryer and cook on 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. After 30 minutes, test the potatoes with a fork. If the fork pierces the potato all the way through, it’s done. If not, cook for an additional 5-8 minutes.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the air fryer using oven mitts. Slice open the top of the potato and squeeze the ends to release the steam.
- Add butter, salt, and pepper or any of your favorite toppings!
Items Needed To Make This Recipe
- Air Fryer – I have 2 favorites that I use depending on how much food I’m cooking. The Ninja 4-quart is great for cooking just a couple of potatoes, and the Power XL works wonderfully for 3-4 potatoes.
- Tongs – for removing the potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers
The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potato and what type of air fryer you are using. Test by piercing with a fork or knife to see if the potato is soft and cooked in the middle. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until completely done.
Cooked potatoes can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For crispy skin, return the potatoes to the air fryer and cook at 400 degrees until hot. You can also reheat in the microwave.
Nope, that is not needed, and it will prevent the skin from becoming crispy.
Yes, you should pierce potatoes before air frying. The holes help any steam release during the cooking process.
That depends on the size of the air fryer. Place the potatoes in the air fryer without crowding so that the air can circulate.
Tips For Making The Best Baked Potatoes In The Air Fryer
- Select potatoes that are about the same size.
- Russet potatoes are the best for baking. They are starchy and allow all the toppings to be absorbed. YUM!
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. You want the air to circulate evenly over the potatoes.
Air Fryer Baked Potato Topping Ideas
- Butter, salt, and pepper are classic toppings that can’t be beaten.
- Cool sour cream and chives.
- Cheddar, pepper jack or smoked Gouda turn baked potatoes into a cheesy creation.
- For a south-of-the-border twist, add Avocado Salsa and Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef.
- Turn baked potatoes into a main dish by spooning on Bloody Mary Chili, then top with cheese and sour cream.
- For game day, set up a baked potato bar along with Game Day Meatballs, Meatlovers Stuffed French Bread Pizza, and Meatloaf Muffins.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes!
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
Last But Not Least…
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo.
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- 2 – 3 russet potatoes
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- Wash and dry potatoes then rub with olive oil and salt. Prick outside of potatoes with a fork.
- Place potatoes in the basket of the air fryer. Set temperature to 400 degrees and cook the potatoes for 30 minutes. Pierce with a fork to test. If the fork does not smoothly go through the potato, cook for an additional 5-8 minutes until done.
- Using oven mitts, remove potatoes from the air fryer. Slice open, pinch ends and fluff insides. Add toppings and serve.
Pin This Recipe To Your Favorite Pinterest Board
Want To Know More About Air Frying?
If you are new to cooking with an Air Fryer or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using the Air Fryer like a pro!