This post may contain affiliate links.
Buttery croissants, smokey ham, and gooey cheese are all baked together for the ultimate breakfast casserole. Inspired by the French classic, Croque Monsieur, this is an easy-to-make recipe that’s heavenly served with powdered sugar, jam and perfect for breakfast, brunch, and a must for the holidays.
Ham, cheese, eggs, and light, fluffy bread. That’s the stuff dreams are made of. Well, at least that’s true for my family. When all those things come together in one place like a make-ahead casserole, then let’s just say, life is grand!
One of my favorite brunch dishes is a French bistro classic, Croque Monsieur. The name means “Mister Crunch” and is a toasted sandwich made with ham and cheese. I’ve taken a few (well, maybe more) liberties with the original method of making that recipe, put them all together, and turned everything into a casserole.
This recipe is effortless and comes together in just minutes. It’s the perfect make-ahead dish for a lazy weekend brunch. It makes a lovely light supper served with a fresh salad. And, I promise this Ham and Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole will be everyone’s favorite when served on a holiday morning or family celebration.
Ingredients For This Recipe:
- Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
- Half and Half or Whole Milk
- Dijon Mustard
- Powdered Sugar
What Makes Ham And Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole So Good?
There are two things that makes this breakfast casserole so good. These simple tips will make your recipe turn out great every time.
Select croissants from the bakery section of your local grocery store or favorite bakery. Choose a nice, slightly smokey ham, and make sure to shred the cheese yourself.
Before baking, it’s important to let the bread soak up the yummy, rich, egg mixture. That’s done by covering the casserole and letting it chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes. This recipe is ideal for making it ahead of time so letting it sit overnight is recommended.
How To Store This Breakfast Casserole
This dish makes a marvelous leftover meal! Once baked, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. Reheating in the oven is best but you can also pop it into the microwave if you just can’t wait.
Is This Recipe Freezer Friendly?
Yep, it sure is! After baking, wrap the casserole tight in plastic wrap or foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, thaw in the fridge then reheat.
How To Serve This Yumminess
As if this casserole was not good enough on its own, I like to add a few more touches to take it over the top.
I give the top a dusting of powdered sugar. Here’s how:
- put a couple of tablespoons of confectioners sugar into a small strainer and tap it against the palm of your hand while moving over the baked casserole. Add as much or little as you like.
I also like to serve strawberry or raspberry jam on the side for an added bit of sweetness. I load up my fork with a bite of the baked ham, cheese, and eggy croissant then drag it through a bit of the jam. It’s total, absolute perfection!
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
- Sausage And Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Cinnamon Rolls
- Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins With Lemon Glaze
- Ham and Cheese Strata
- Waldorf Salad
- Cheesy Sausage Cornbread Quiche
Last but not least…
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo.
Ham And Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- 6-8 medium-sized croissants
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 8 ounces deli or leftover ham (about 6 thin slices)
- 6 ounces shredded swiss or gruyere cheese
- powdered sugar
- Lightly coat a 9×6 deep baking dish with cooking spray. **A 9×11 baking dish can also be used.**
- Tear croissants in half and place in prepared pan. Cut ham into thirds and nestle around the croissants. Sprinkle on shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, Dijon mustard, and salt. Pour over croissants. Cover with foil and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place covered breakfast casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until hot and bubbly with a golden top.
- Remove casserole from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.