The weather has been so nice the past few days with warm temperatures and sunny skies. I decided to take advantage of this much needed change by firing up my grill. It was a night of the boys coming and going, so I knew they’d be hungry once they hit the door. My dinner choice was perfect – grilled pizza! I picked up some prepared dough, got several toppings ready and made some pizza sauce. Making a pizza on the grill may seem intimidating but truthfully, it’s really, really easy and the outcome is crazy delicious!
|Make dough into a circle or really, whatever shape you can! Just call it “rustic”|
Feel like BBQ-ing, but also like having pizza? This grilled pizza recipe is the perfect solution.Print Pin Rate
- Prepared pizza dough - or homemade dough
- Fresh mozzarella cheese - sliced or shredded
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Toppings - cooked sausage, pepperoni, hamburger, sliced onion, mushrooms, peppers, olives
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- dash of red pepper
- Make dough into a circle or really, whatever shape you can! Just call it "rustic".
- Clean grill grates and set for direct cooking on high.
- Prepare toppings and set aside.
- In a small bowl, pour approximately 1/2 cup of olive oil. Using tongs to hold, roll a paper towel to use to oil grates of grill.
- On a lightly floured board, gently shape dough into a circle. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- When grill is hot, use tongs with paper towels to oil grates.
- Using a pizza peel or cookie sheet dusted with flour, transfer dough onto grill.
- Close top of grill and cook for 2 minutes. Check dough and if needed, turn so that all sides are cooked.
- When edges are cooked, remove dough from grill and place grilled side up on peel or cookie sheet.
- Spoon on tomato sauce and using the back of a spoon, spread to edges of pizza. Note ~ do not "over sauce."
- Lay slices of mozzarella cheese or sprinkle on top of tomato sauce.
- Add other toppings. Note ~ don't layer on too many toppings or pizza will become soggy.
- Gently slide pizza back onto grill. Lower heat to medium.
- Close lid and cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes until bottom crust begins to char and cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from grill, let rest for 1 to 2 minutes before slicing.