- Measure out egg whites and place in a mixing bowl. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Sift confectioners sugar and flour together three times. Set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, extract and salt to the egg whites. Beat on high-speed in stand or hand-held mixer until frothy. Gradually add sugar, and continue whipping until all sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Stop beating process.
- Fold in flour mixture about ½ cup at a time. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Using a kitchen knife, cut through the batter to remove air pockets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. As soon as you take out of oven, invert onto standing position using feet on pan or a bottle. Cool completely before removing cake from pan.