This post may contain affiliate links.
Are you looking for a tasty and easy-to-make salad recipe that can feed a crowd without breaking the bank? Then you’ve come to the right place. Learn how to create a refreshing and flavorful fruit salad that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a family reunion, block party, or tailgating event, this budget-friendly fruit salad recipe is sure to be a hit.
Recently, I hosted my son’s drum line for dinner. Feeding 28 kids and their director can be daunting, but with great recipes for a crowd, it was a breeze, especially with this fruit salad recipe.
My fruit salad is fresh and flavorful, with juicy honeydew melon and a tangy citrus dressing sweetened with honey. It’s a cheap fruit salad for a crowd that’s both delicious and affordable since I chose the fruit based on what was on sale.
The drum line loved this best fruit salad recipe; only two grapes were left in the pan. Give this easy fruit salad recipe a try if you’re looking for a tasty dish that’s perfect for feeding a crowd!
Easy Fruit Salad Tips
- Choose a variety of fresh fruit that’s in season for the best flavor and texture. Don’t be afraid to mix and match different types of fruit to create a unique and tasty fruit salad for a crowd.
- Consider using honeydew melon as a base for your fruit salad. This sweet and juicy melon pairs well with many different types of fruit and makes a great foundation for your salad.
- If you’re looking to make a cheap fruit salad for a crowd, choose fruit that’s in season and on sale at your local grocery store. You can also use frozen fruit for an easy fruit salad that’s budget-friendly.
- Cut your fruit into bite-sized pieces for easy eating and mixing. No one wants to struggle with a huge piece of fruit in their salad!
- Make a simple dressing for your fruit salad using ingredients like honey, lime juice, or even a bit of brown sugar. A little bit of dressing goes a long way, so don’t overdo it.
- Chill your fruit salad before serving to keep it fresh and refreshing. A cold fruit salad is perfect for any summer gathering or potluck.
Commonly Asked Fruit Salad Questions
Look for firm but not too hard fruit, with a pleasant aroma and bright color. If you’re unsure, give the fruit a gentle squeeze – it should give slightly but not be too soft.
Yes! Frozen fruit can be a great addition to fruit salad, especially in the off-season. Just make sure to thaw the fruit first and drain off any excess liquid.
A good dressing is one that’s tangy and slightly sweet, such as a citrus dressing with honey.
Yes, you can make fruit salad ahead of time, but it’s best to dress the salad just before serving to keep it fresh.
Make sure to drain any excess liquid from the fruit and keep the salad chilled until serving time.
Aim to make about ½ to ¾ cup of fruit salad per person.
Cold Potluck Made Easy
- If you’re bringing a pasta salad or chicken salad, make sure to keep them chilled and covered until serving time.
- Add a pop of flavor to your summer salads by using Greek Dressing or Creamy Vinaigrette.
- Add frozen fruit to your salad recipe for a sweet twist or top it with whipped cream and fresh berries.
- If you’re bringing a green salad, toss in some honeydew melon or red grapes for a sweet and refreshing touch.
- To avoid a soggy salad, pack your salad dressing separately and dress the salad just before serving.
- Get creative with your salad toppings by adding in some candied nuts, feta, or Parmesan cheese.
- Keep your salad fresh and crisp by packing it in a chilled container or cooler.
More Great Salad Recipes You’ll Love!
- Caprese Pasta Salad – Fresh and Easy
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Macaroni Salad For A Crowd
- Green Bean Salad
- 3 cups red seedless grapes
- 3 cups green seedless grapes
- 2 cups cubed pineapple
- 2 cups cubed cantaloupe
- 3 cups quartered strawberries – washed with caps removed
- 2 pints blueberries
- 1 and ½ cups orange juice
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Wash grapes and blueberries. Set aside to drain.
- Place all fruit in a large tin foil baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together orange juice, honey and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Pour dressing over fruit and gently toss with large spoon. Cover fruit with plastic wrap and place in fridge or cooler until ready to serve.