This post may contain affiliate links.
Fresh, crisp Skillet Green Beans made in just 15 minutes is one of life’s simple pleasures! Made in just one pan and infused with garlic and lemon with just the right amount of red pepper, these green beans are sure to be at the top of your side dish list in no time.
Most every home cook I know has a green bean recipe. I’ve got a few in my recipe file that I rotate through depending on the time of year and what I’m serving as a main dish. But I can say without a doubt, THIS recipe is my go-to, all-time favorite.
There is a little back story to this recipe. Years ago, when I first got married, I found out that Mr. was not a big fan of veggies. Being a true southerner who loves eating seasonal fresh vegetables, I was floored. I also learned that he was a card-carrying member of the “no mushy beans” club. Now, that I could get behind because I’d never liked the cooked to death beans that so many folks associate with southern cooking. So, after all of these realizations, I had to come up with a recipe that both of us would like. Thus, Skillet Green Beans was born.
Skillet Green Beans Ingredients
- Fresh Green Beans
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Lemon Zest and Juice
How To Make This Recipe
This recipe is so simple and ready in about 15 minutes.
- First, wash and dry the green beans. I use a clean dish towel to pat them dry.
- Second, trim off the ends. You can snap them off or use a paring knife to trim off both ends.
- Now, when it’s time to cook the beans, make sure to choose the right pan. Use one that’s big enough to hold the total amount of green beans. If the pan is too small, the beans will steam instead of blistering, which is what you want. I use a cast-iron skillet. To start cooking, heat the oil making sure to get the pan hot.
- Next, add in the red pepper and green beans and toss in the olive oil.
- After cooking for about 5 minutes, add in the garlic, lemon juice, zest, and salt.
- The beans are done when they turn a beautiful bright green color. That’s it. Taste and season with salt and little black pepper. Then…dig in!
More Veggie Side Dish Recipes…
- Southern Fried Corn
- Super Easy Roasted Broccoli
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Pear and Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- In a large, heavy-bottom skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper flakes and green beans. Toss together. Cover pan with a lid or sheet of tin-foil and cook for 6 minutes. Remove lid, lower heat to medium then add in garlic, lemon juice, and zest. Toss and cook for 3 more minutes until beans are bright green and done but still are crisp.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.