This post may contain affiliate links.
Make the best Oven Baked BBQ Chicken with this easy 4-ingredient recipe! Made with a sweet, savory BBQ sauce, this chicken is moist, juicy, and so good that you won’t believe it was made in the oven.
Is it just me, or does everyone love BBQ chicken? Well, maybe not everyone, but I’m pretty sure most folks like really good BBQ chicken. You know, the kind that’s sweet, sticky, and juicy. The thing is, most of the time, it’s a long process to marinate or brine the bird, and it’s cooked on the grill.
Hold on, though…I’ve taken out all the hard work for making delicious oven baked chicken recipe. This easy recipe uses chicken breasts or thighs with my homemade bbq sauce made with brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, and spices. And no matter the weather, you don’t have to worry because it is baked in the oven!
What You’ll Find In This Post
- Ingredients Needed
- Can Chicken Thighs Or Breasts Be Used For This Recipe?
- What’s The Best BBQ Sauce To Use?
- The Secret To Making The Best Oven BBQ Chicken
- Chicken Thighs or Chicken Breasts In The Oven?
- How Do I Know When The Chicken Is Done?
- What To Serve With BBQ Chicken?
- Craving More? Try These Chicken Recipes
5 Days of Fall Cooking: Southern Style!
FREE Email Bonus: Get ready for your tastiest fall ever
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – chicken thighs can be used as well.
- Olive Oil
- Southern Soul House Seasoning – I keep a small bowl of this seasoning (made with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder) in my kitchen. You can substitute salt and pepper to season the chicken.
- Homemade BBQ Sauce – if you don’t use my recipe, you can use your favorite brand of sauce from the grocery store.
Scroll Down For Full Measurements And Instructions
Can Chicken Thighs Or Breasts Be Used For This Recipe?
You can use either white or dark meat. This baked BBQ chicken recipe is excellent for meal prep. I like to double the recipe and purchase whichever cut of chicken is on sale at the grocery store.
I line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then cook the chicken per instructions. Store the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
What’s The Best BBQ Sauce To Use?
I’m partial to my homemade sauce. It’s easy to make with pantry staples and ingredients you likely already have on hand. This sauce has a sweet richness from brown sugar and honey and a tangy punch from fresh lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
I blend those flavor-packed ingredients with ketchup, hot sauce, and black pepper, then simmer until thick. You can use your favorite sauce from the grocery store if you don’t make it yourself.
The Secret To Making The Best Oven BBQ Chicken
What makes this chicken so good? The secret is to season and bake the chicken, THEN slather on the BBQ sauce to complete the cooking process. This 2-step method makes the chicken flavorful, tender, and juicy, and the sauce caramelizes into a sweet, sticky glaze.
Chicken Thighs or Chicken Breasts In The Oven?
BBQ chicken thighs in the oven are known for their juiciness and tenderness, thanks to their higher fat content than chicken breasts. When cooked in the oven, chicken thighs retain more moisture and are less likely to dry out, resulting in a more succulent texture.
BBQ chicken breasts in the oven, being leaner, have a milder flavor profile and can benefit from marinating or seasoning to enhance their taste.
How Do I Know When The Chicken Is Done?
Test the chicken using an instant-read thermometer. When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, remove it from the oven. Tent with aluminum foil and allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes while the internal temp rises to 165 degrees. Slice and you are ready to serve.
What To Serve With BBQ Chicken?
The possibilities of side dishes to serve with this delicious chicken are almost endless. I do have a few favorites, though…
- Best Caprese Pasta Salad
- Pimento Cheese Grits
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Skillet Green Beans
Craving More? Try These Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Avocado Chicken Salad
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken Sliders
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning to coat all sides.
- Line a baking pan with foil and place the chicken on it. Bake chicken for 15 minutes and then remove it from the oven.
- Brush chicken with BBQ sauce and place it back in the oven. Bake the chicken for 6-8 minutes until the sauce slightly caramelizes. Remove the chicken once the internal temperature reaches 160°
- Loosely tent the chicken with aluminum foil, then let the chicken rest for 10 minutes, allowing the internal temperature to rise to 165°. Slice and serve.