Make the best Oven Baked BBQ Chicken with this easy 4-ingredient recipe! Made with a sweet, savory BBQ sauce, this chicken is moist, juicy, and so good that you won’t believe it was made in the oven.
What You’ll Find In This Post
Is it just me, or does everyone love BBQ chicken? Well, maybe not everyone, but I’m sure most folks like good BBQ chicken. You know, the kind that’s sweet, sticky, and juicy like my BBQ Chicken Legs. Most of the time, it’s a long process to marinate or brine the bird, and it’s cooked on the grill.
However, just like Crock Pot Chicken Thighs, I’ve taken out all the hard work for making a delicious chicken recipe. This easy recipe uses chicken breasts or thighs with my homemade BBQ sauce, which is made with brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, and spices. And no matter the weather, you don’t have to worry because it is baked in the oven!
Baked BBQ Chicken Breasts Ingredients
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – chicken thighs can be used as well.
- Olive Oil
- Southern Soul House Seasoning – I keep a small bowl of this seasoning (made with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder) in my kitchen. You can substitute salt and pepper to season the chicken.
- Homemade BBQ Sauce – if you don’t use my recipe, you can use your favorite brand of sauce from the grocery store.
Scroll Down For Full Measurements And Instructions
Can Chicken Thighs Or Breasts Be Used For This Recipe?
You can use either white or dark meat, and I prefer using boneless chicken for this recipe. If you use bone-in, make sure to test the chicken to make sure it’s properly cooked. The internal temperature tested with an instant-read thermometer should register 165 degrees. This baked BBQ chicken recipe is excellent for meal prep. I like to double the recipe and purchase whichever cut of chicken is on sale at the grocery store.
What’s The Best Barbecue Sauce To Use?
I’m partial to my homemade sauce. It’s easy to make with pantry staples and ingredients you likely already have on hand. This sauce has a sweet richness from brown sugar and honey and a tangy punch from fresh lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
The Secret To Making The Best Oven Baked Chicken
What makes this chicken so good? The secret is to season and bake the chicken, THEN slather on the BBQ sauce to complete the cooking process. This 2-step method makes the chicken flavorful, tender, and juicy, and the sauce caramelizes into a sweet, sticky glaze.
Often Asked Questions And Answers
This baked BBQ chicken recipe is excellent for meal prep. I like to double the recipe and purchase whichever chicken cut is on sale at the grocery store.
Test the chicken using an instant-read thermometer. When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, please remove it from the oven. Tent with aluminum foil and allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes while the internal temp rises to 165 degrees. Slice, and you are ready to serve.
What To Serve With BBQ Chicken?
The possibilities of side dishes to serve with this delicious chicken are almost endless. I do have a few favorites, though.
- Salads: Tomato Cucumber Salad, Green Bean Salad, BLT Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Side Dishes: Stuffed Baked Potatoes, Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Craving More? Try These Chicken Recipes
If you tried this Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Recipe or any other recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks!
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning to coat all sides.
- Line a baking pan with foil and place the chicken on it. Bake chicken for 15 minutes and then remove it from the oven.
- Brush chicken with BBQ sauce and place it back in the oven. Bake the chicken for 6-8 minutes until the sauce slightly caramelizes. Remove the chicken once the internal temperature reaches 160°
- Loosely tent the chicken with aluminum foil, then let the chicken rest for 10 minutes, allowing the internal temperature to rise to 165°. Slice and serve.