Want to take an average box cake mix to a whole new level and turn it into something special? Then this Poke Cake is recipe is for you! An easy to make blueberry, lemon sauce amps up the flavor in fresh way then top it all off with fresh whipped cream flavored with more lemon and you’ve got a dessert that will put a smile on your face.
For me, lemons and blueberries are one of those perfect flavor combinations. I’ve combined them in other great recipes but this time…it’s all about cake. Now this is not just any ‘ol cake, it’s poke cake. Recipes for poke cake can be found all over the internet and Pinterest and they are super popular. I think one of the reasons why is that are pretty simple to make but that’s not the reason I’m a fan. I’m a poke cake lover because of all the different flavors you can combine in one amazing sweet treat.
If you’ve never enjoyed a piece of cake, poked with holes then filled with yummy fruit, then this recipe is a good place to start. It starts with a box cake mix made per the package directions. The next step, making the blueberry sauce is super easy with just a few ingredients. Next, we get a “little fancy” by brushing on a lemon curd glaze. This imparts a bright burst of flavor that will wow you. The fun starts when you poke holes in the cake and pour on your sweet sauce. Last but not least comes a beautiful, fluffy topping of fresh whipped cream. Feel free to use store bought whipped topping if you want to add in another shortcut. All that’s need at the end is a plate and a fork…well, you might just skip the plate and just dig right in!
- 1 box butter/vanilla cake mix
Blueberry Lemon Sauce
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon lemon curd
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- Make cake according to directions. Let cool.
- While cake cools, make blueberry sauce. In a small sauce pan, add blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and corn starch. Bring ingredients to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a microwave safe dish, add lemon curd and water. Microwave for 10-12 seconds until curd is melted. Stir. Using a pastry brush, glaze top of cake with the mixture.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes in cake. Pour blueberry sauce over cake making sure that the sauce seeps into the holes. Cover and let cake set up in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, whip heavy cream, sugar and lemon curd until stiff peaks form. Layer topping on to cake. Chill for 1 hour or until ready to serve.