When it comes to the holidays, there are a few treats that have become family favorites. This chocolate bark is on the list and I make it for my crew to enjoy and to give out as a small gift to friends.
For me, there are two special things that I love about this recipe – one is that it’s made with Matzos crackers which are so easy to work with and make the bottom layer light and crisp. Second is that you can change up the toppings to celebrate whatever season or event you are celebrating. I happily confess that I love that crispy cracker layered with buttery toffee and covered with dark chocolate…then when you add a few sprinkles of crunchy, well…you’ve got the start of something special and I believe a new family tradition.
Chocolate Peppermint Bark
This is a very common family favourite.
Course: Dessert, Snack
- 1 box of unsalted Matzoh
- 1 cup of butter – 2 sticks
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup of chocolate chips – chopped (you can use dark, semi-sweet or milk chocolate)
- 3/4 crushed peppermint candy
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line one baking sheet with foil making sure to cover bottom completely.
- Top foil with parchment paper.
- Place Matzoh crackers on baking sheet making sure to cover fully, breaking crackers into smaller portions to make a complete rectangle.
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a medium size pot, over med-high heat. Bring to a low boil and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour butter mixture over crackers and smooth out until covered.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Check after 6 minutes and continue to cook until golden brown being careful not to burn.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate over the butter/brown sugar mixture and let melt 2 – 3 minutes.
- Using a rubber or metal spatula, spread chocolate over bark.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes to chill so that bark will set.
- Break into small pieces to serve. Store in an airtight container.