Good heavens, y’all…it is hot a hades down here! With temperatures in the upper 90’s for the week and more hot weather on the way, I’m looking for ways to stay cool. Of course, the family still has to eat, so I’ve gotten a little creative regarding how I prepare my meals. I do any stove top cooking early in the morning and use my grill whenever I can. That’s exactly how I prepared this delicious side dish of potatoes and peas.
First thing in the morning I put on my potatoes to cook. When they were about halfway done, I added the peas to the boiling water. After about 1 minute, I removed the peas, dumped them in ice water and drained the potatoes. I let my veggies cool and when it was time for dinner, I heated up my cast iron skillet and finished off my dish. At the end of the day we enjoyed a great meal, I had a happy family and a cool kitchen…ah, life is good!
Roasted Peas & Potatoes
Grilling doesn't mean skipping side dishes, this delicious mix of peas and potatoes proves it.
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes - par boiled
- 1 pound snow peas - blanched
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place cast iron skillet on grill set to medium high heat. Add olive oil and butter.
- When butter is melted, add potatoes to skillet. Gently shake pan so that there is one layer of potatoes. Cook on grill until a slight crust forms on potatoes.
- Add peas and gently mix into potatoes. Add more butter if vegetables are sticking to skillet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until peas are heated through and still crisp.
- Remove from grill. Drizzle with addition olive oil and season to taste.