Get ready, it’s here. That time of year that you either love or hate. Pumpkin EVERYTHING time! It started a couple of weeks ago with that famous coffee store announcing their pumpkin spice latte was back and have mercy, you better hope you were not standing near the door lest you be crushed by folks trying to get one. I’m one of those folks who’s in the middle on this one. I really like pumpkin and the warm spices that are often used with it ~ I just don’t like pumpkin in everything. The funny thing is, I kinda got the crazy train this weekend and made a cake. Yes, a pumpkin cake.
When I decided to make this new version of pound cake, I had to be a little sneaky because Mr. A Southern Soul is a member of the “no pumpkin spice” camp. I started out by setting out my eggs and butter on the counter so they could come to room temperature. Of course, everyone in this house knows what that means – pound cake. I was asked several times what kind of cake I was making and the answer was always the same, pound cake…just pound cake.
Little did they know, I’d hidden my precious orange can of pumpkin puree behind the flour container. Everyone got busy during the afternoon and that’s when I put my plan into action. I whipped up my cake, popped it in the oven and quickly cleaned up the evidence. Soon though, it was apparent that this was not my regular pound cake. The rich, comforting smell of cinnamon gave me away.
Once the cake was out of the oven, I had to spill the beans and let my crew know what was up. I was pleasantly surprised that I received zero eye rolling or snarky remarks. That beautiful aroma of cake baking had already won them over. I finished off my sweet treat with drizzling my pumpkin pound cake with a brown butter glaze. The combination of traditional pound cake texture, warm cinnamon spice along with just the right amount of pumpkin flavor plus a little sweetness on top is perfection. It’s not too much, not too little…it’s just right. It looks like fall has arrived at the Southern Soul homestead and pumpkins are welcome here all season long.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Pound Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 stick) - room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs - room temperature
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 cup bundt pan.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon and salt - set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy - about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix well.
- Turn mixer to low and add flour mixture. Add in sour cream, pumpkin and vanilla. Cream together until combined but do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Whisk together melted, slightly cooled butter, sugar and milk until totally smooth.
- Drizzle over cake.
Original recipe by Grandbaby Cakes.