At least once a week I roast a chicken. It’s easy, no stress cooking and my family loves it. When the weather is nice, I roast on the grill but now that the temps have dropped, I have a fool proof oven method that delivers a juicy bird with crispy skin every time.
This fool proof oven method delivers a juicy bird with crispy skin every time.
- 1 3-4 lb chicken
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 clementines - quartered
- 6 cloves garlic - peeled
- 2 large onion - roughly chopped
- 1 cup white wine - chicken stock or water may be substituted
- 3-4 celery stalks
- 3-4 carrots
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, place carrots and celery lengthwise.
- Place chicken on top of carrots and celery, breast side up.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle on salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place 1/4 onion and 1/4 clementine in cavity of chicken.
- Evenly spread remaining clementines, onion and garlic cloves around chicken.
- Pour wine around side of roasting pan and place in oven.
- Roast on high heat for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to cook for 35-45 minutes. Check internal temperature by placing a meat thermometer into thickest part of thigh, not touching bone. Chicken is done with a read of 165 degree temperature.
- Take chicken out of oven, tent with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Squeeze roasted clementines over chicken and carve.
- Serve pan juices with chicken.