OK – I admit it – I got sucked into a new food craze. During the holidays I watched a few cooking shows plus I read a ton of magazines. That’s where I saw this idea of using a waffle iron to cook foods you’d normally make in traditional ways. Oh my gosh, there were so many crazy things people are doing with their waffle irons and most actually looked good. Then, there was that crazy article about using that kitchen gadget for potatoes…well, just get out of the way y’all, I’m in!
I decided to make my life easy and purchased the shredded potatoes then I added the other ingredients. I had success on the first try! My hash browns were crispy and crunchy on the outside then soft, buttery and hot on the inside. If you all love breakfast as much as my family does, then you have got to try this cooking method. It’s now a standard in my kitchen since I have a “don’t worry about it” dish cooking away. I just turn my attention to making light & fluffy eggs, buttering toast and enjoying my cup of coffee…
Waffle Iron Hash Browns
Make your next breakfast extra crispy with these waffle iron hash browns.
- 3 cups shredded hash browns
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- Heat waffle iron to medium high heat.
- Place hash browns in a medium size bowl. Drizzle butter over potatoes and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic over hash brown and gently mix.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Place 1/2 of potato mixture in iron, close and lock lid.
- Cook hash browns until there is very little steam coming from waffle iron and until desired crispiness.
- Remove potatoes from waffle iron with tongs and season with additional salt and pepper.
**These are measurements for my waffle iron which is round and holds about 1 1/2 cup of mixture. Adjust depending on your iron.
Here are a few more breakfast recipes to try with your crispy hash browns ~