This post is sponsored by my friends at Dan-O’s Seasoning, but all opinions expressed are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support my family and me.
Grab your Instant Pot and make the BEST Black Eyed Peas ever! This no-soak recipe makes tender, flavorful peas that are perfect for any family dinner, Sunday supper, and a must-make for New Year’s Day.
Here in the South, we take Black Eyed Peas seriously. They are required on New Year’s Day as a side to collard greens and pork. They make a great addition to soups and are always gobbled up at a family dinner. Not only that, but they even make appearances as an appetizer!
Why These Are The BEST Black Eyed Peas
- They are perfectly seasoned with Dan-O’s Original Seasoning.
- The dried peas are cooked perfectly in the Instant Pot making theme tender without becoming mushy.
- With this NO SOAK method, there’s no prepping, so you can have this side dish whenever you want it less than 45 minutes.
Instant Pot recipes are not only easy to make, but they are full of flavor! Whether you are making my Instant Pot Garlic Herb Rice, or Instant Pot Pinto Beans, you’ll have a yummy, heart-warming dish on the table in no time.
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Dried Eyed Peas
- Dan-O’s Original Seasoning
- Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper
Do I Need To Soak The Dried Peas?
Nope, not at all. No soaking is needed. The peas are cooked at high pressure using the Instant Pot. This cooking method produces just the right texture of cooked peas in a light, flavorful broth.
How To Make Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
This recipe is so simple and you only need 5 ingredients!
- Add dried Black Eyed Peas to an Instant Pot.
- Pour in water and vegetable stock.
- Season with Dan-O’s Original Seasoning and a pinch of salt.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and set the timer.
- Once the peas are cooked, place them in a serving bowl, and you are done!
How Long Does It Take To Pressure Cook Black Eyed Peas?
The key to cooking the peas correctly is a combination of heat and ingredient proportions.
- 1 cup of Black Eyed Peas to 3 cups of liquid.
- Set timer to 15 minutes, 17 minutes for softer peas.
- Natural release steam for 15 minutes.
I like to use a combination of water and vegetable stock when I make Black Eyed Peas for an extra boost of flavor.
Can Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Yes! Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas are ideal to make ahead of time. Cook per the instructions, then store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can This Recipe Be Doubled?
It sure can. Most of the time, I double the recipe, using 2 cups of dried peas and 6 cups of liquid. Be sure to note, the cooking time IS NOT DOUBLED. Cook using the same times as the instructions state.
What To Serve With Black Eyed Peas
There are so many ways to serve Black Eyed Peas! They are a classic, southern recipe served all year round and a must-make for any New Year’s Day celebration.
Here’s what I like to serve with this simple, flavor-packed side dish:
- Crock Pot Balsamic Brown Sugar Pork Loin
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Pickled Corn And Red Onions
- Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Ham
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 1 cup dried Black Eyed Peas
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Dan-O's Seasoning
- pinch of salt
- Add Black Eyed Peas, water, stock, seasoning, and salt to an Instant Pot and stir.
- Secure lid on Instant Pot and close. Set to PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL and set the timer to 15 minutes or 17 minutes for softer peas. After the timer goes off, allow the steam to release naturally, which will take 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir beans. Taste and adjust seasoning then serve.
Want To Know More About Using The Instant Pot?
If you are new to cooking with an Instant Pot or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using the Instant Pot like a pro!
So enjoy your food subscription with all your wonderful recipes! Thank you for all your effort and contribution to the my culinary world.
Love Black eyed peas….but wondering what other seasonings could be used in place of the “Dano” ones…..? Understand it is a support system…..but I like flexibility in case unavailability. Thank you again for all you do!! Have a great Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas bringing in a special and Blessed New Year!
Hey there Lori!
My goodness, you’re too sweet! Thank you so very much for your interest in this recipe, and all of your support! You can actually order Dan-O’s seasoning online, I will attach the link below, but if you’re looking for something quicker I would recommend using my House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on my site. Thank you again for all your kind words of support, I am so happy to hear that you’ve been enjoying my subscription emails and my recipes, this really put a smile on my face! If you have any more questions, please feel free to reach out. I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving, and a Happy Holiday season!